Blog Photos

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Of Friendship and Lack Thereof

What happens when you run out of outlets? What happens when your friends are leaving, one by one, caving to the attraction of a random civilized country with hope for a decent and secure future, and you're left counting how many of them you have left? Two or three? Or is it one? Shit I don't know anymore!
I'll tell you what happens. You're left with two or three mindsets that cooperate or take turns tearing your sanity apart, each one taking partial or complete precedence over the others depending on your mood and how your day is going.

On the rare but welcome good day, you'll feel optimistic about present and future -like I felt when I wrote my previous post-, and keep thinking to yourself, "staying here isn't so bad! I've almost got it figured, and it feels good to be home!" Expected, from someone who's already failed -miserably- to capitalize on the golden opportunity of a medical career in France due mostly to nostalgia.

On the more common average day you tend not to think about it too much. Because on the average day you have a lot keeping you busy, and there isn't much time for thinking and musing about life and its roller-coasters. You do catch a few ideas flying by, but these don't tend to materialize into something meaningful by the time your attention is caught by something else.

We're left with bad days. It is on those bad days, those days when you just can't seem to find anything to do with your time, or when you just seem to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, that these thoughts go wild. You feel stranded, isolated, wondering what the hell you're doing at home or wherever you are. Your outlets are numbered and each has his/her own set of problems and obstacles. They're busy. You don't really feel like their gossip, trivia, and pettiness, even though you love them. She's unreachable! S. is in the U.S. B. is in the U.K. N. is in Kuwait, K. in Dubai, R. in France... I could go on...
And this is when it gets to you the most. Because what are you left with, if not memories of good times and intrusive thoughts and feelings of all sorts that make you question your own sanity sometimes? or a bad mindset and ensuing reactions and overreactions that can ruin friendships and relationships? And what can you do with these thoughts? Well you can either swallow them, or throw them in someone's face. I tend to do the latter, often with bad consequences, but that's another thing I never seem to learn.

But you know what? All that's about to change. I'm done. I feel like I've been changed. Yes, BEEN changed, by these circumstances. I've let them get the better of me, something I don't usually do.
I've gotten a few remarks which I admitted to, again, something not everyone around me is used to seeing. The changes are in motion, things will be different from now on.

Here's to not keeping all your eggs in one basket.

For those of you who know what I mean...